CUE 2017 North Student-Powered Showcase
October 28, 2017
Saturday, October 28, 2017
American Canyon High School
3000 Newell Dr., American Canyon, CA 94503
(located in Napa County)
Here’s a look at the projects students are showcasing at Fall CUE!
CUE Student-Powered Showcase projects/programs focus on:
- Maker Movement
- California Content Standards/Common Core State Standards (Nevada)
How can students (and teachers) participate?
- Students lead the projects/programs! They come prepared to engage conference attendees in ways that no breakout session could possibly do.
- Are your students creating/designing a unique, innovative maker project? Does your project/program focus on STEAM? Would your students like to teach attendees?
- Projects/programs are interactive, allowing attendees to create, make, build or participate in some way. They don’t always work as anticipated and may require multiple iterations, and that’s OK! Making mistakes and tinkering to improve upon design is where the learning and “ah-ha” moments occur!
- Check out the Participation Guidelines for more information.
- Does your school or district have a STEM challenge or Showcase? Select one or two exemplary projects to apply for the CUE 2017 Fall SPS!
What’s in it for students and teachers?
The SPS provides a high profile opportunity to make new connections, to strengthen camaraderie between teachers and students, to increase self-esteem and speaking opportunities, to encourage deeper learning, and to receive much deserved acknowledgement from the education community. Each year, participating teachers tell us of the growth and pride they see in their students when they’ve been a part of the Showcase.
Participating teachers get FREE registration to the conference ($270 value) and whenever possible, are recognized at a local conference event hosted by their regional CUE affiliate!
The biggest perk? You get to have fun!
- Any K-12 students who attend public or private schools within California or Nevada are eligible to enter. This includes homeschooled and students enrolled in independent study programs.
- Projects/programs may be submitted by multi-grade teams, teams from multiple schools or teams that collaborate virtually.
- Virtual teams may include students from outside CA or NV, but must include at least one CA/NV student to be eligible.
What's required in the Application?
- Contact information, including the teacher/coordinator's information, regional CUE affiliate name.
- Project/program information, including title, description, materials needed and description of student engagement.
- The rubric will be used by the selection team
Keep these rules in mind:
- A maximum of 4 students and 2 teachers per project team may participate. Due to space limitations, no exceptions can be accommodated.
- Students will build, create or design all or part of their project/program at the SPS. Attendees will be expected to assist or participate interactively.
- Each team will have one 6 foot table with approximately 4-5 feet in front of the table.
- Projects/programs cannot be dangerous or harmful to attendees, participants, staff or any animals that may happen to wander by.
- All student representatives would need to travel and may be photographed and therefore must have photo release and consent waivers (SAMPLE) signed by their parent or guardian to participate.
- Applications: April 3 - September 6
- Student-Powered Showcase: October 28, 2017 - American Canyon High School
The CUE Student-Powered Showcase is produced by CUE in partnership
with the Orange County Department of Education.